Pretoria - Murder accused Oscar Pistorius’ father has lashed out at the ANC government saying they are to blame for his son’s fall from grace.
Oscar’s dad Henke Pistorius reportedly told a British newspaper that the country’s lawlessness and high crime rate forced his son to arm himself.
The ANC has since told the Daily Voice they want nothing to do with the paralympic star or his family.
Henke Pistorius spoke to The Telegraph’s journalist about the guns he and his son own.
“Some of the guns are for hunting and some are for protection, the handguns,” he was quoted as saying.
“It speaks to the ANC government, look at white crime levels, why protection is so poor in this country, it’s an aspect of our society.”
But ANC spokesman Ismael Mnisi tells the Daily Voice they have had no contact with anyone from the Pistorius family.
“If he did say this, it is unfortunate,” says Mnisi.
“We first heard about this in the media, and since then nobody from the family has approached us.”
The men of the Pistorius clan all reportedly have more than one licensed firearm.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Henke, Oscar’s grandfather Hendrik and his uncles Arnold, Theo and Leo own at least 55 shotguns and handguns.
Both the ruling party and the opposition party have distanced themselves from Henke’s comments.
Mnisi adds: “It is unfortunate that the father made such a statement, justifying the crime and then shifting the blame to the ANC and the government.”
Democratic Alliance spokesman Mmusi Maimane did not want to comment about the Pistorius case directly.
“The judicial process must take its course,” he says.
“None of these comments will help with the justice process.”
“Murder in [South Africa] is very high to try and link the two concepts of crime and the ruling government is not helpful.”
Late on Monday evening, the spin doctors hired by the Pistorius family said they couldn’t verify the validity of the comments attributed to Henke.
Lunice Johnston from Vuma Reputation Management says they ordered all of Pistorius’ family to not do media interviews.
She says: “I have not yet spoken to Henke so I can’t confirm whether he really said those things.”
The Daily Voice spoke to the journalist from The Telegraph who confirms she spoke to Henke this weekend and that he did pass those remarks.
Oscar is charged with murder after his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot and killed on Valentine’s Day.
The pretty model was shot four times through a bathroom door in Oscar’s upmarket, security complex home in Pretoria.
He is expected back in court in June.
The Steenkamps did not want to comment on Henke’s outburst.
The family have appointed two lawyers who have advised them to not publicly comment about the murder trial.