Biggest Fashion Sale Of The Year! Shop 12 000 Up To 70% OFF!
Cape Town - Pagad says it plans to sue the police for “wrongful arrest” once murder charges against its leader, Abdus Salaam Ebrahim, are withdrawn.
Ebrahim was released on Thursday after the Athlone Magistrate’s Court heard that the State had provisionally withdrawn three charges of murder and one of attempted murder against him. He spent 10 days in custody.
His arrest followed a shooting in Athlone in which three Tanzanian men were killed.
Ebrahim met his attorney Tashriq Ahmed on Monday morning. Ahmed confirmed that his client claimed to have been at home with his wife at the time of the shooting – 11pm on August 13.
Ebrahim was not asked for an official alibi at the time of his arrest or during his incarceration, Ahmed said.
Also at the meeting was Zakariyah Albertyn, another Pagad leader who was taken in for questioning last week over the triple murder. Albertyn was released without charge and alleged police asked him to “name his price” to provide evidence to link Ebrahim to the murders.
Pagad spokesman Cassiem Parker has maintained from the start that the arrest was unwarranted.
“The fact that the State is not currently pursuing the charges against Ebrahim proves he, as an individual, and the organisation as a whole are vindicated. First, our attorney needs to ensure the police will not continue its persecution of Ebrahim. After that has been achieved, we will seek civil action.”
Ahmed said, should civil action follow, he would seek compensation from the police for legal expenses, as well as damages for each night in custody.