R200 discount for liking us on FB
No videos or photographs may be taken during the trial of Johannes Jacobus Steyn, dubbed the “Sunday rapist”, the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court ruled on Monday.
“For the moment, I will not allow any filming or photography,” Judge Sita Kolbe said.
However, she said this decision could be revisited later in the trial.
The trial has been moved to the Palm Ridge court, which is in Alberton, from the High Court in Johannesburg as renovations are being done.
Steyn was appearing in connection with the murders of teenagers Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.
Supporters for both were in court. They wore badges showing De Waal's face and white ribbons.
Steyn faces 37 charges in all. The others are 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.
He allegedly abducted Roodepoort schoolgirl De Waal in October last year while she was on her way to school. It was just before her 17th birthday.
De Waal's burnt body was found on a Magaliesberg farm later the same day.
Steyn handed himself over at the Margate police station in KwaZulu-Natal the next day.
Fourteen-year-old Farmer, of Elandspoort in Pretoria, was kidnapped in September 2010 by a man in a bakkie.
She was killed when she apparently jumped out of the bakkie in an attempt to escape.
Police said Steyn had confessed to being the “Sunday rapist”, but not to killing De Waal. He had allegedly raped a number of young girls in Gauteng and the North West, mostly on Sundays, since 2008. – Sapa