Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
durban - Police are still searching for a man they believe may have beaten up his ex-girlfriend and left her for dead.
KwaZulu-Natal provincial police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane said on Sunday, investigations were continuing after the August 24 attack on Tina Mbili, 21.
She was attacked as she walked home from work through a park in Phoenix.
She was beaten up and left for dead, allegedly by her 28-year-old ex-boyfriend, with whom she has a 17-month-old baby.
This was despite Mbili having obtained a protection order against him and two domestic violence cases still pending.
Reacting to the alleged attack, African Christian Democratic Party chairwoman and member of the KZN Legislature, Jo Ann Downs, on Friday called on women to take to the streets in protest against abuse and domestic violence and the government’s failure to provide adequate protection.
Downs slammed police inaction on the protection order and slated the courts for letting the accused out on bail, especially when he had two domestic violence cases against him pending.
She also criticised the system’s failure to protect a 74-year-old woman who was raped, stabbed in the head and robbed in her flat in Bisley, Pietermaritzburg.
“A 28-year-old suspect had been arrested in connection with the crime, but was released because bungling police action did not get him to court within the 48-hour time limit.
“Unfortunately, these are just two of a litany of cases [showing] the system’s failure to protect vulnerable women and children,” she said.
Downs said SA women were saying “Enough is enough.”
She urged women countrywide to take to the streets. - Daily News