Poo protesters to join illegal marchComment on this story
Cape Town - Expelled ANC member Loyiso Nkohla and the suspended Andile Lili will appeal against the findings of a party disciplinary hearing – and are planning to participate in an illegal march.
“The ANC is the will of the people and we cannot dump it when we are fighting the enemy that does not deliver (to) the people. We will follow the due processes of the ANC and appeal,” Lili said.
Nkohla was expelled from the party by the Dullah Omar regional disciplinary committee on Monday. Lili was suspended for three years, of which two were suspended for two years.
At a press briefing in Khayelitsha on Tuesday they said they would also write to ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe and ask the national office to intervene.
“The national leaders must look at this provocation from the leadership here in Cape Town. These people are demoralising the masses. We humbly request the national leadership to do something,” Lili said.
Asked whether he was joining another political party, Nkohla said they had been approached by some but were not considering a move.
“Leaving the ANC is not an option. We will appeal against the decision but can’t say more in fear of prejudicing the whole process,” he said.
They have 21 days to appeal.
The ANC Youth League’s Dullah Omar regional task team has decried the disciplinary action against the two.
Co-ordinator Akhona Jonginamba said: “The two comrades are the only ones able to mobilise against the DA. They have shown their readiness to sacrifice in the people’s struggles.”
Last year, the two led a number of marches against the bucket toilet system, rejecting portable toilets the city provided in informal settlements and dumping faeces at the entrance to the legislature and Cape Town International Airport. Nkohla said the disciplinary action against them would not prevent them from continuing to demand land and sanitation.
He said the Ses’khona People’s Rights Movement would march to Zille’s office on Thursday, following unsuccessful meetings with Zille, mayor Patricia de Lille and Human Settlements MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela.
Nkohla said, while the city had turned down their application for a march, their lawyers had approached the Western Cape High Court to order the city to allow it.
Lili said the march would be peaceful. Bail conditions in pending cases against them prohibits them from joining illegal gatherings.
City spokeswoman Priya Reddy said the official responsible for granting permits had received information from the police that the march would result in disruption of traffic and pedestrians in the CBD.
“This was supported by video evidence where Mr Lili called on large numbers of persons to come to the city on February 27 and bring the city to a standstill,” Reddy said.
* When sanitation activists march on the provincial government on Thursday they will be accompanied by several disgruntled individuals and organisations.
The Ses’khona People’s Rights Movement, led by Nkohla and Andile Lili, will march to the provincial legislature and demand land for housing and better sanitation delivery.
It will be joined by new allies, including the Central Unity Taxi Association. Its representative Zama Mkula said black-owned taxi operators were victimised because the roll-out of MyCiTi was done without proper consultation.
Len Smith, the chairman of the SA Repairer and Salvage Association, said the association would join the march because black-owned businesses in the automobile industry were being undermined and overlooked for government work.
Crystal Booysens said Lost City residents who faced eviction in Mitchells Plain would also join the march.
Sheldon Moodley, an ANC member, said he was representing residents of Ruyterwacht near Goodwood who were fighting eviction. Some would join the march.