Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has dismissed attempts by Joburg businessman and property mogul Sayed Hoosen Mia to have criminal charges involving R40 million against him dropped.
Mia and Desmond Simamane, a former of employee of the national Department of Public Works, were arrested last year for their alleged role in persuading the government into leasing buildings owned by Mia.
The two were charged with fraud, corruption and money laundering after Simamane had allegedly duped his bosses to lease six Joburg buildings, which were never occupied.
Mia was charged along with 10 of his companies that he used in the alleged fraud.
Simamane was arrested in July. Mia was added as a co-accused after he handed himself over to the police.
They appeared in court on September 23. Mia indicated he was due to make representations to the National Directorate of Public Prosecutions to withdraw charges against him.
At the time, he also claimed the State’s case against him was weak.
But the NPA disagrees, with spokesman Nathi Mncube saying on Monday that Mia and Simamane’s criminal prosecution would proceed.
Mia approached the NPA on December 12 last year and on January 17, he said.
“He was informed and, as a matter of fact, further charges were added. The State has added two counts of fraud against Mia and Simamane. The State has further added three counts of fraud against Simamane as an employee of the Department of Public Works.
“The counts against Mia and Simamane emanate from false declarations they made in the tender processes,” Mncube said.
The additional charges against Mia and Simamane will be formally revealed in the Johannesburg Regional Court on March 7.