Quiet restored in BotshabeloComment on this story
Botshabelo, Free State - Quiet has been restored in Botshabelo after xenophobic attacks last week, Free State police said on Wednesday.
Over 500 foreigners were displaced in the attacks by locals.
The SA Red Cross Society (Sarcs) said the attacks started when street vendors were removed from a place called Fairways, in Botshabelo, on July 3.
That night, angry residents broke into the businesses of Somalians, Chinese and Ethiopians and took goods and money. Some houses belonging to foreigners were burnt down.
On Wednesday afternoon, the local community, foreigners and community organisations met to end the conflict.
“All the parties agreed that the foreign nationals can go back to their places and there should be an end to the attacks,” said Sarcs Free State disaster officer Claudia Mangwegape.
Colonel Sam Makhele said quiet had been restored in Botshabelo, but that the police were still monitoring the situation.
“The situation is still fine. There have not been any reports of violence,” he said. - Sapa