Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Port Elizabeth - A gang rape victim spotted two of her alleged attackers during a march against women abuse in Port Elizabeth, the Weekend Post reported on Friday.
Johannesburg-based Andy Kawa, 50, saw the two men loitering near the Kings Beach parking lot, near where she was raped in December 2010. She was in Port Elizabeth to lead Thursday's march demanding justice for raped and abused women and hand over a memorandum complaining of a lack of empathy from the police.
Protesters swarmed the two and they were arrested. Kawa identified them as a father and son, aged 47 and 20, who lived on the beach and had been among the four men who had attacked her.
“The police found my clothes with the one man (the father) but they let him go, but still my clothes are at the police station. I told the people, 'here they are' and wanted them held down until the police came,” a visibly shaken Kawa said as the men were forced to sit on the grass.
Police spokesman Captain Stanley Jarvis told the Weekend Post the 47-year-old was arrested shortly after the gang-rape and spent two years in St Alban's prison until the case was provisionally withdrawn in November, because Kawa had not been contacted to appear in court.
At the time police said the docket would be placed back on the roll as soon as they tracked down the main witness, a bush dweller.
Jarvis said they would remain in custody until Monday, when they would appear in court on charges of rape.
Kawa later told Weekend Post: “I hope this time there will be commitment, action and results.”
The protesters handed their memorandum to Lt-Col Mark Houwland at the Humewood police station. He said the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit would investigate Kawa's case. - Sapa