Roodepoort protests continue

Johannesburg - Residents of Princess informal settlement in Roodepoort on the West Rand continued their protest action on Friday, Gauteng police said.

The demonstrations started on Tuesday, with protesters demanding better service delivery and houses.

Warrant Officer Nonhlanhla Khumalo said police were monitoring the situation and no arrests had been made.

Metro police closed off Main Reef and Corlett roads in the area as the protesters threw stones at passing cars.

“It is not safe for motorists to drive through that area,” said Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar.

“They can use Ontdekkers road as an alternative route.” - Sapa