Edgemead High School has denied that “any criminal activity took place” in the case of a 16-year-old who alleged he was sexually molested at a rugby camp in March.
The Cape Argus reported last week that the boy had apparently been given alcohol and, while unconscious, had had his eyebrows and head shaven and had later allegedly been attacked with a broomstick by older boys.
The incident was apparently part of an “initiation”.
School governing body chairwoman Mrs L Smith said in a statement on the school’s website: “The Edgemead High School was subjected to adverse media coverage on May 10, 2012, in connection with an incident which occurred during a recent first-team rugby tour to Velddrif.”
She called what is alleged by the victim “a prank”.
“This media release is deemed necessary because a considerable portion of the content of the media coverage was either completely false and/or distorted,” she wrote.
She said the incident had been fully investigated by the school’s management and the seven boys involved in the incident had appeared before the governing body.
“The school is completely confident that due process was followed throughout. Despite media coverage alleging criminal acts on the part of the pupils, no such evidence was forthcoming in the investigation, and no such evidence was provided by the parents of the pupil,” she said.