The affordable education loan option
Johannesburg - A man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend in Fourways, Johannesburg, in May 2011 has been arrested in Brazil, police said on Thursday.
“He (the man) was arrested in Brazil yesterday (Wednesday). He was on the run following the murder of... ex-girlfriend Andrea Venter,” spokesman Lt-Gen Solomon Makgale said.
“It is alleged that (the man) stabbed her to death in May 2011. We are in contact with our counterparts in Brazil and they have agreed to keep him in custody whilst the formal extradition is being processed through the correct channels.”
When the man disappeared following Venter's murder, police flagged him on an Interpol red notice.
Venter, 25, was hit in the face with a knuckle-duster, then stabbed to death with a pocket-knife by her ex-boyfriend, who was believed to have been stalking her.
He tracked her down to a security complex in Fourways, Johannesburg, Beeld reported on May 4, 2011.
Venter, who was an auditor in Rustenburg, had moved to Johannesburg three months earlier to get away from the then 30-year-old man, against whom she had obtained an interdict in 2008, her brother Kobus Venter told the Afrikaans daily newspaper at the time.
However, the man phoned 33 auditing firms in Johannesburg to find her, and when he did, he started phoning her repeatedly at her office, her mother Annatjie Venter told the newspaper.
She was reported as saying that, at the time, her daughter told her: “You don't know how dangerous he is.”
On May 2 2011, the man went to the Sibaya Sands security complex, in Fourways, where he broke Venter's nose by hitting her with a knuckle-duster.
She tried to run away, but he followed her and stabbed her to death in front of a security guard at the entrance of the complex.
He then tried to cut his own throat.
Lt-Col Tshisikhawe Ndou told Beeld the man had been expected to appear in the Randburg Magistrate's Court when he recovered from his injury.