Start making sense of your financial wellness.

Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv

SAHRC’s stoned kids probe ongoing

Comment on this story


stoned kids

Moloko Moloto

Mpho Kekana and her sister Sarah Kekana are mourning the killing of their three children. Picture: Moloko Moloto

The SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is still investigating the disappearance of three Limpopo foster home children found dead in Mokgopong, an official said on Tuesday.

“We cannot speculate on the time-frames regarding the investigations as there are many roleplayers in the process. We want to be in the same boat when we conclude the matter,” said SAHRC spokesman Isaac Mangena.

Police and social workers are probing the disappearance of brothers Bafana Kekana, nine, Hosea Richard Kekana, 10, and their cousin Johana Kekana, 12, who were found dead near the Constantia resort in August.

The Kekana children had been stoned to death. Police said bloodied stones, covered by a blanket and tree branches, were found near their bodies.

They were reportedly last seen on August 15, during a protest demanding that vacant teachers' posts be filled at their school, Dikobo Primary.

Mangena said the commission was investigating possible negligence on the part of the guardians of the children, who were housed at the Mantadi Youth Care Centre.

“We are speaking with various people who include those who knew the kids, social workers and neighbours.”

He said the commission had powers to subpoena anyone to court should it establish culpability.

“We can take anyone to court, but for now we don't want to pre-empt the outcome of investigations,” Mangena said.

Earlier, Democratic Alliance MP Mike Waters said the party had brought the matter to the commission's attention.

“The DA strongly believes that the deaths... could have been avoided if their disappearance was reported to the police earlier,” he said.

Mangena said the commission began its investigations after the matter was reported in the media.

Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said on Tuesday that no arrests had been made.

“Nothing concrete has come out so far, but that doesn't mean we are just sitting. Our task team is still working hard on the matter,” he said.

A R100,000 reward was still on offer for useful information on the case. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory