School feeding scheme robbed

Comment on this story
blomvlei school jan 15 CAPE ARGUS Waylin Norton clings to his mother as she tries to see him off at Blomvlei Primary. Photo: Henk Kruger

 

Cape Town - As 970 000 Western Cape pupils started the 2013 academic year on Wednesday, some arrived at schools which had been vandalised.

Blomvlei Primary School principal Dawn Petersen said feeding scheme supplies, including samp and beans, had been stolen, as well as sports uniforms.

She said all the textbooks had not yet been counted but she was hoping that none were missing.

She said the break-in took place on January 4.

“It happened in broad daylight. People thought they were fixing the roof.”

Petersen said teachers refused to let the break-in dampen their day.

“We are remaining positive,” she said. Most new pupils at Blomvlei put on a brave face but some Grade R pupils, as well as a few of their parents, couldn’t hold back tears.

One Grade R pupil Waylin Norton, 5, held his mother, Latasha, tightly as he sobbed.

“He’s also making me emotional,” Latasha said.

Proud parents took photographs of their children before saying their goodbyes.

 

At Sid G Rule Primary in Grassy Park, Education MEC Donald Grant visited Grade R and Grade 1 classrooms.

 

He said the school year had started smoothly apart from one or two hiccups.

“It’s still early days. It will take at least a week for the system to settle down.”

Cape Argus



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.