Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Cape Town - Parents at a Hout Bay school are furious and say they fear for their children’s safety after a Grade 1 pupil was allegedly sexually assaulted on the school grounds.
On Friday, a group of parents and residents, who said they were outraged because the alleged perpetrators were still attending class, protested outside the gates of the primary school and demanded to see the principal.
The name of the school is being withheld to protect the boy.
They were denied entry, while two men at the gate threatened the Cape Argus and refused to allow access to the principal’s office.
The protesters said they wanted justice for the victim and to ensure their own children’s safety.
“The same could happen to my children. I don’t want to send them to school. The perpetrators are still inside,” said Monique Lott.
Elise Boois, who has three relatives at the school, said she wanted to know where the teachers were when the alleged incident occurred.
The protesters said they wanted the provincial education department to come to the school and explain to them what had happened.
The Grade 1 pupil’s mother told the Cape Argus that when she went to fetch him on February 14 he was crying and told her that he was in pain. She asked him what had happened and he told her that sticks and stones had been inserted into his anus.
“I found blood on his underpants,” she said, while wiping her tears.
Another relative said it was believed that more than one pupil had been involved in the incident.
The mother took the boy to a nearby clinic and said she was referred to Groote Schuur Hospital. Her son was discharged on Thursday.
She said she reported the matter to the Hout Bay police and the school.
“I don’t want my child to go to this school anymore. Something has to be done.”
Police spokesman Colonel Tembinkosi Kinana confirmed that a case of alleged sexual assault had been reported to the police.
According to the Hout Bay police, the six-year-old victim had missed an appointment with the police officer attending to his case, who is not stationed at the Hout Bay police station.
Now, the station commander has personally taken up the matter to ensure the boy gets the necessary help.
While schools should report incidents of alleged sexual assault to the Western Cape Education Department’s Safe Schools division, Bronagh Casey, spokeswoman for Education MEC Donald Grant, said “as far as we can determine” the alleged incident was not reported to Safe Schools or the circuit manager.
“The district has been informed and will investigate...”