Johannesburg - Acting North West Premier Paul Sebegoe on Wednesday welcomed the arrests of two men linked to the attempted murder of an Amplats miner.
The 51-year-old man was attacked amid the strike by Amcu-affiliated mineworkers as he headed to work on February 3.
“We hope that the arrests will send a message to perpetrators of violence associated with the current Amcu strike that there is no place in our society for bullies and those who have no regard for the rule of law,” said Sebegoe.
The pair handed themselves over to police on Tuesday.
Brigadier Thulani Ngubane said the man was offered a lift in a car with two occupants.
“Upon arrival at the mine, the car parked near a group of picketing and striking mine employees. The victim was allegedly taken into the group,” he said.
The man was allegedly intimidated and forced to walk to the nearby stalls where he was undressed.
“It is alleged that he was later taken to a dumping site where he was assaulted severely with stones. According to the information, he managed to escape and ran naked towards the shaft where he was rescued by mine security,” said Ngubane.
Several incidents of violence and intimidation have been reported since mineworkers affiliated to the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union from Lonmin, Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) and Impala Platinum (Implats), downed tools last month demanding a R12 500 basic salary for miners.
The Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration was facilitating talks between platinum mine bosses and the union. - Sapa