Second Westbury shooting suspect appearsComment on this story
Johannesburg - A man accused of pointing a firearm in the shooting that left three-year-old Luke Tibbetts dead appeared in the Newlands Magistrate's Court in Johannesburg, on Tuesday.
Wearing a black jacket and jeans, Keenan Mokwena, 28, appeared in the dock just before 11am.
Magistrate Elmarie Engelbrecht postponed the matter to August 18 to allow the State to obtain further evidence.
Investigating officer Sergeant Diedelof Fourie said during his testimony that police needed more time to obtain certain dockets and present them to the court.
He said various cases, including housebreaking, car theft, and robbery had been opened against Mokwena.
“We need more time to get the dockets from all these cases,” he told the court.
“According to our information, none of the matters have been finalised.”
Mokwena and Tibbetts were travelling in Westbury in different vehicles during the shooting on August 2. They were taken to nearby hospitals after the shooting.
Mokwena was shot in his right arm. He was treated and discharged.
Tibbetts was critically wounded and died in hospital on August 8. He had been on life support machines since the event.
Earlier on Tuesday, Lindray Khakhu, 24, accused of shooting Tibbetts, appeared in the same court.
The case against him was postponed to August 29 for a formal bail application.
He was arrested after people who witnessed the shooting identified him and reported the matter to the police.