‘Silent shots’ of Oscar trial mooted

Comment on this story
IOL oscar in coiurt AP Murder accused Oscar Pistorius. Photo: Themba Hadebe

 

Pretoria - A ban on still photographs during Oscar Pistorius's murder trial would infringe on the right to freedom of expression, the High Court in Pretoria heard on Wednesday.

Nick Ferreira, for print media houses, was asking the court to allow two photographers in court during the Paralympic athlete's trial.

“We are proposing that there will be no flash photography, no close-ups and no cabling in court. There would be no identifying logos on the cameramen or the cameras,” Ferreira said.

The photographers would take “silent photographs” to avoid disturbing proceedings.

“The NDPP (National Director of Public Prosecutions) has consented to the taking of still photos. A blanket ban is a restriction on the right to freedom of expression. Only Mr Pistorius objects to the relief sought,” said Ferreira.

Steven Budlender, for eNCA, said Pistorius's claim that broadcast activities would distract witnesses was implausible. He referred the court to several high-profile cases across the world that had been broadcast live.

Budlender said if the court could not grant permission to broadcast, media houses would settle for audio coverage.

Frank Snyckers SC, for MultiChoice and Eyewitness News, submitted that the equipment was not obtrusive and was controlled remotely. He said the media houses had secured the National Prosecuting Authority's (NPA) support.

“Principles of open justice and right to freedom of expression are part of the right to a fair trial,” he said.

“In fact, the trial judge can be given the means to deactivate the recording.”

Pistorius is accused of killing his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on February 14 last year. His trial is expected to be heard in the High Court in Pretoria from March 3 to 20.

Snyckers told the court that if granted permission to film the proceedings, MultiChoice would broadcast the full trial unedited. He said however “unconsenting witnesses” would not be filmed.

The NPA on Tuesday said it would not oppose the application. However, NPA spokesman Nathi Mncube said it did have a number of conditions. He would not say at the time what these were. - Sapa



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.