Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Bethlehem - Two soldiers have been shot dead, allegedly by a third troop, in the eastern Free State, the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) said on Monday.
“There is a criminal investigation going on,” said SANDF spokesman Brig-Gen Xolani Mabanga.
The three were travelling from the Fouriesburg Military Base to the Kromdraai temporary base in a military vehicle at the time of the shooting on Friday.
Gunner ML Hlubi, 24, allegedly shot dead Lieutenant Thabiso Ernest Seithati, 28, and Gunner Zakhe Nkanyiso Khumalo, 26. He took their bodies out of the vehicle and drove off.
Mabanga said Hlubi had been charged with the murders and appeared in court on Monday.
He was transferred to the Bethlehem police station, and would appear in the Bethlehem Magistrate's Court on March 4. - Sapa