Johannesburg - An investigation into how a five-year-old boy died at a Soweto school last month has yet to be launched, the Gauteng education department said on Wednesday.
The Grade R pupil died after being run over by a lawnmower at the school.
Spokeswoman Phumla Sekhonyane said the department would appoint independent investigators to conduct the probe.
“When there's an incident like this, we appoint someone externally so there is an independent view,” she said.
“We never use our own people so that there are no cover-ups or anything like that.”
It was unclear whether anyone from the school had been held accountable.