‘Sunday rapist’ treated humanely, say cops

Comment on this story
Copy of sunday rapist [3] INLSA Johannes Steyn has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Photo: Bongiwe Mchunu

Johannes Jacobus Steyn, dubbed the “Sunday rapist”, was treated humanely by the police, the High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in Alberton, heard on Thursday.

“I was being human to him,” Constable Quiet Menong told the court.

“He even shook my hand for treating him humanely (when he was handed over at the Krugersdorp police station).”

Steyn is accused of murdering school girls Louise de Waal and Lazanne Farmer.

He is also charged with 11 counts of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, one of attempted kidnapping, and two of assault.

Menong was one of the officers who transported Steyn from Margate to Krugersdorp after he handed himself over in October last year.

He testified that Steyn showed no reaction when he heard about his arrest on the radio.

“I looked at him to see his reaction, but he was just quiet.”

Steyn's lawyer Anton Lerm has asked why his client was arrested on October 13, but only transported to Gauteng the following day.

He has been arguing since Wednesday, during a trial within a trial, that his client was forced into making an incriminating statement.

However, Menong said the reason for the delay was that the officers had been working and were tired.

“Everybody was exhausted. We didn't want to risk being involved in an accident because we were exhausted.”

Lerm alleged police spent the day swimming, braaing and drinking and had told Steyn they had brought guns because there was an order to shoot him on sight.

“Not in my presence, sir,” Menong answered, adding that no one had the power to make such an order.

Lerm said his client was left in the police vehicle at a toll gate en route to Krugersdorp to lure him into escaping, but Steyn had known he would be shot if he did this.

“I was in the vehicle with him at the toll gate. That's a lie,” Menong said.

Court went into recess for Judge Sita Kolbe to decide if Steyn's statement, made to a magistrate, would be allowed as evidence.

The 11 girls Steyn allegedly attacked between 2008 and 2011 were all aged between 11 and 18.

The 36-year-old pleaded not guilty to all 37 charges against him on Monday. - Sapa



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.