Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - The bail application of eight men implicated in the murder of African National Congress regional secretary Obuti Chika is expected to be finalised in the Klerksdorp Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
Chika, 33, was shot at point-blank range in the driveway of his Klerksdorp home on December 14. He died in a local hospital.
Local Government MEC China Dodovu was among those arrested for his murder.
The suspected shooter, Sihlangu Sekhakhane, was also arrested. He led police to Msinga in KwaZulu-Natal, where the suspected murder weapon was found.
The other accused are community member Jeffrey Letuka, North West provincial ANC Youth League chairperson Papiki Baboile, ward secretary Paul Molomonyane, councillor Itumeleng Molebatsi, municipal worker William Malefo and taxi driver Kgotso Kali.
The group has been trying to get bail since last week.
On Monday, prosecutor Riekie Krause told the court that residents would be shocked and outraged if the accused were granted bail.
She also told the court that several of the accused had failed to disclose previous criminal convictions or pending cases. - Sapa