Teen gunned down in streetComment on this story
Cape Town - A teenager was shot dead in Wesbank on Sunday night and police are hunting for the gunmen responsible.
The 19-year-old was shot in the head near a shop in Millwood Street.
Mfuleni police were told about the shooting at around 8.45pm. When they arrived, the man had already died.
Residents said the victim was standing in the street when three men approached him and fired several shots, said police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk.
“Another victim was shot in the leg while she was at the shop and was taken to hospital for treatment,” Van Wyk said.
The motive for the shooting was not known, and no arrests had been made.
* In George, an 86-year-old woman was raped early on Saturday.
The woman was woken by the sound of a bedroom window being broken at about 2am, said Captain Malcolm Pojie.
A man raped her and threatened to rape her granddaughter, who lives on her property.
No arrests had been made.
* A policeman accused of statutory rape is set to stand trial in the Mitchells Plain Regional Court.
The constable from Grassy Park appeared in court on Friday on a rape charge involving a 14-year-old girl.
It is alleged he and the victim, who live in the same street, had had sex at the policeman’s house between July and August, until the girl’s friend told her mother.
* An off-duty Mthatha police sergeant was arrested for possession of an unlicensed firearm and a stolen car on Saturday in Lower Crossroads.
The policeman and another man were held after Crime Prevention Unit members became suspicious about a BMW in Ntlongwe Street.
When they stopped it, the driver tried to run away.
His 29-year-old male passenger remained in the car.
The officers caught and questioned the fleeing suspect and found out he was a police sergeant on sick leave, Van Wyk said.
“The BMW turned out to be reported stolen. The passenger was in possession of a police-issue firearm which belonged to the sergeant.
“Both were arrested for possession of suspected stolen property and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.”
They were expected to appear in Athlone Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
* Police found the bullet-riddled body of a teenager in an open field in Beacon Valley at the weekend.
No arrests had been made yet, said Van Wyk. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Warrant Officer Dederick April at 082 777 8076.
* Police in Mitchells Plain have searched 30 drug dens and arrested 154 suspects for drug-related crimes in a crime prevention operation in Lentegeur and Strandfontein during the past week. Seventy-seven other suspects had been arrested for various crimes, police said.