Teen’s parents relive heartbreaking details
Johannesburg - More than two years after a prominent George dentist allegedly raped and sexually assaulted a 15-year-old Pretoria schoolboy, the trial finally came to a close in the Thembalethu Regional Court on Friday.
But not before the teenager’s parents, who took their place in the gallery, relived the heartbreaking details of the alleged incident during a sleepover at 42-year-old Ian Venter’s luxury rental home at Victoria Bay, as the State and defence delivered their final arguments.
Venter is facing nine charges, including rape and sexual assault, after the alleged incident on December 27, 2011.
The teenager’s parents had known Venter and his family since 1998. They socialised regularly and the youngster slept over at Venter’s house one evening during a visit to the Garden Route with his family over the December holidays.
Venter allegedly gave the teenager alcohol and showed him pornographic material, before allegedly performing various sexual acts on him.
Venter was arrested the next day, and released on bail of R1 000. He denies all charges, and pleaded not guilty in 2012.
Prosecutor Brandon Smith reminded the court of the youngster’s version that, on the night of the alleged incident, the accused had called him to the patio where he engaged him in a sexual conversation, something Venter initially denied but later admitted, adding through his attorney Braam Swart that he had been under the impression the teenager initiated the conversation.
The boy also told the court that Venter offered him “very strong” alcohol which left him “past the point of being drunk”. The complainant also testified about how Venter came to his room later that evening with DVD covers with pornographic images on them, as well as a lubricant, before proceeding to perform various sexual acts on him, including penetration.
Smith further reminded the court that the teenager also testified that he had experienced pain and had asked the accused to stop. He informed a friend in a text message that he had been raped. The friend informed the boy’s parents, who took him to a local hospital.
Smith said various aspects of the incident were not contested, including that sexual acts had been performed. What was contested was whether consent was given, whether Venter gave the teenager alcohol, and whether penetration took place.
Swart, however, reminded the court that this case had been plagued by various issues, including failure to test for alcohol consumption or to search Venter’s home for bottles.
The matter was postponed to August 12 for judgment. - Saturday Star