Cape Town - Two more suspects were arrested in connection with the attack on Khayelitsha mother Thembela Mjuleni, who was choked and left for dead after her eyes were gouged out in Mandela Park at the weekend.
Wednesday’s arrest of two men aged 25 and 23 brought to three the number of people taken into custody for the attack on the mother of an 8-year-old girl. The first suspect had been under police guard in hospital after angry residents assaulted him. Mjuleni’s cellphone and earrings were allegedly found in his house. The 28-year-old man was discharged from hospital on Wednesday.
Police spokesman Andre Traut said the three men would appear in the Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court today on charges of robbery and attempted murder.
Mjuleni was attacked on Saturday night on her way from her friend’s house in Mandela Park.
Friends and neighbours gathered at Mjuleni’s home on Wednesday night to pray and to console her family. They described the attack as inhuman and said they were saddened that it took place in their area.
Mjuleni’s brother, Thabo, said she remained in hospital and her condition had improved.
“We are just hoping that she recovers fast and comes back home.”