Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - Two of the five people accused of attempting to murder investigators in the Radovan Krejcir case applied for bail in the Alexandra Regional Court on Friday.
Sergeant Nandi Nkosi and Zoe Biyela appeared side-by-side and were cuffed by the wrists. There were heavily armed officers inside and outside the court.
Prosecutor Lawrence Gcaba said the State opposed bail because the women were facing schedule five (serious) offences.
“The State has a strong case against the accused,” he said.
He described Nkosi as “dangerous in terms of her skills” because she knew the witnesses and had the means to track them down.
“The accused is highly skilled and trained as she works for crime intelligence,” he said.
He said despite Nkosi being suspended it would not limit her means to find information because of her training.
The affidavits of both Nkosi and Biyela were read out in court in which the women deny any involvement.
Lawyer Titswa Modise, for Biyela, said she was not aware of the plot to kill the investigators.
“The case against the accused is exaggerated and does not exist,” said Modise.
They would appear with their co-accused Siboniso Miya, Owen Serrero and Jacob Nare on February 18.
The five are charged with conspiracy to murder, possession of unlicensed firearms, possession of unlicensed ammunition, possession of stolen vehicles, and theft.
The accused, barring Nkosi, were arrested earlier this month when police pounced on them as they were allegedly plotting to kill forensic investigator Paul O'Sullivan and crime intelligence officer Colonel Nkosana “Killer” Ximba.
Nkosi, 34, employed in the police's crime intelligence unit, was arrested on January 16 for allegedly providing software to track the investigators. Nine cellphones were confiscated from her.
The court heard that an SMS was sent from Nkosi's phone to the other people involved asking if Ximba had been killed.
Pictures of Ximba and O'Sullivan were also found on their phones, Gcaba said.
The case was postponed to February 5 for judgment on bail.