Winterton farmer dies after torture ordeal

Comment on this story

Copy of IOL  crime tape


Durban - A Winterton farmer has been killed and his wife injured after they were beaten, stabbed and tortured with a hot iron.

One of their employees was shot twice in the attack, last Thursday.

Police spokesman, Captain Thulani Zwane, said five armed men gained access to Mohamed Engar’s Noodhulp Farm, early in the morning.

Engar, 67, his wife, Razia, 56, were repeatedly beaten, stabbed and tortured with a hot iron.

Their worker, who has not been named, was shot in the right leg and stomach.

Zwane said the suspects ransacked the house and took money, other valuables and a Volvo.

The car was later recovered by police on the R74 not far from Estcourt.

The robbers also took the CCTV recording machine, said Zwane.

Engar’s son, Ahmed, who also works on the farm, said he was on his way to Durban at the time of the attack.

He said the robbers became frustrated because there were few valuables in the house. The family had been robbed in February.

“They stabbed my mother and father in the back. They then took them to my grandmother’s room where the maid had been ironing and burnt them with the iron.”

His father was beaten so badly that he suffered brain damage and died in hospital on Saturday morning.

The worker is recovering in hospital. No arrests have been made. A community member, who did not want to be named, said they were shocked by the brutality of the incident.

Daily News

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.


Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory