Yengeni lawyer needs more timeComment on this story
Cape Town - The drunk-driving case against ANC national executive committee member Tony Yengeni was on Tuesday postponed in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court.
He will appear again on August 12 - a date requested by his attorney, Sylvester Vogel, to allow him to study “further particulars” of the case. Vogel committed to having representations from his client ready by the next court appearance.
The Cape Argus approached Yengeni for comment on Tuesday morning but he would not speak about the issue.
Yengeni was arrested on August 11 last year after City of Cape Town police allegedly saw him driving his Maserati erratically near the intersection of Somerset and Dixon roads in the CBD.
He was released on bail of R500 and ordered to appear in court.
The city’s safety and security mayoral committee member JP Smith said Yengeni had been one of 52 people arrested in a weekend operation.
Smith alleged that at least one of Yengeni’s number plates was missing from his car and a screening device indicated Yengeni was “substantially over” the legal blood-alcohol level.
In March, Yengeni’s lawyer said he had received details of the charge but they were inadequate and he had requested “further and better particulars” from the State.