Johannesburg - The National Prosecuting Authority is disappointed by the failure of President Jacob Zuma's son to attend an inquest at the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
“We are disappointed because we would have liked to have commenced with the inquest today, the matter has now been delayed for two months,” said NPA spokesman Nathi Mncube.
“Zuma lives in Johannesburg but could not make it to the court, while witnesses from as far as Marikana and Brits were in court by 9am.”
Zuma did not appear in court for the inquest hearing following an accident involving him in February, in which one person was killed.
Instead his legal representative informed the State that the president's son was not aware that he was supposed to be in court on Tuesday, Mncube said.
He said Zuma was subpoenaed on July 25 this year to appear in court.
The inquest was to determine who was liable for the accident.
Zuma allegedly hit a minibus taxi in Rivonia, Johannesburg, while driving a Porsche, causing the taxi to overturn.
One person was killed and three people were injured.
A the time, metro police spokesman Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar said the Porsche rear-ended the taxi on the M1 south off-ramp at Grayston Drive.
Last month, the NPA declined to prosecute Zuma due to insufficient evidence.
It said the matter would be referred to a magistrate for a formal inquest, to determine whether the accident was caused by a human error.
Mncube would not say what would happen should Zuma not attend court on the next court date.
“I cannot comment on that, I cannot speculate on a case,” he said.
The court postponed the inquest to August 22.