Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Bloemfontein - The bail application of four men accused of plotting to kill President Jacob Zuma was postponed in the Bloemfontein Magistrate's Court on Friday, Free State police said.
A decision on the application would be handed down on January 23, Captain Harry Nagel said.
Mark Trollip, Johan Prinsloo, Martin Keevy and Hein Boonzaaier are accused of planning to kill ANC leaders at the party's Mangaung conference in December last year.
At a court appearance in December, State prosecutor Shaun Abrahams alleged the four were part of a group who planned “Die Slag van Mangaung” (The Battle of Mangaung) to eliminate the country's leaders.
The group, along with other people, had allegedly been planning since January 2012 to establish a new right wing party, the Boere Party, and commit acts of sabotage.
The Federal Freedom Party (FFP) said it was disappointed that no judgment was handed down in the bail application.
“With the serious concern of their health in prison the party hoped for a decision on bail,” the party's national secretary Francois Cloete said in a statement.
“The party also hoped that the process could have come to an end for the sake of the families.”
Two of the accused, Boonzaaier and Prinsloo, were FFP members. They were suspended in December following their arrests.
Boonzaaier was the party's president and Prinsloo its operational manager.
Cloete said the party's executive members had handed affidavits to the pair's lawyers to help support their case.
“The council members confirmed that no plot was planned at any meeting and that the USA trip was not used to fund a so called terror plot, but to help gain support for the white minority in South Africa.” - Sapa