Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - Agang SA has denied reports that the party is considering an 11th hour merger with the DA, after the party’s failed attempt earlier this year.
The party said several SABC radio news bulletins had reported a merger between it and the DA, and threatened to take the matter to the Electoral Court.
Agang director of communication Mark Peach said the party wanted to “make it clear that no merger with any party is being planned”.
“There are no discussions with any party about merging, and a vote for Agang SA remains a vote for Agang SA only,” he said.
The party said the SABC had confirmed to Peach that the original news bulletins stated that Agang was open to collaboration with other parties after the elections, but someone in the SABC news team at the IEC centre in Pretoria changed the original report to read that a merger with the DA was being planned.
Peach said the SABC undertook to correct the report in its noon and 1pm radio bulletins on Tuesdayday.
“The fact that a journalist within the SABC radio news team can stoop this low as to wilfully change a news bulletin in order to confuse Agang SA members on the ground is yet another reason Agang SA is growing concerned about the conduct of these elections,” said Agang leader Mamphela Ramphele.
She said a number of the party’s election posters had been removed or defaced around the country, and its offices in the Eastern Cape had been broken into and a laptop and cellphone stolen.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said he wasn’t aware of the specific reports, but added that “mistakes happen everywhere”.