Rustenburg – The African National Congress (ANC) said on Thursday it would take legal action against freelance journalist Carien du Plessis after banning her from its 104th celebrations over a controversial tweet.
ANC spokesman Zizi Kodwa said on Thursday: “We are talking to our lawyers to take legal action against her…any legal action including suing her.”
The party indicated earlier that she had been banned from the celebrations taking place in Phokeng, outside Rustenburg. Her accreditation had been cancelled.
Du Plessis had tweeted: “Seems Rusty [Rustenburg] News Cafe will be a choice hangout for pantypreneurs and tenderpreneurs at this weekend’s #ANC104 bash.”
The tweet drew a backlash on Twitter, with many saying the word “pantypreneur” was sexist and demeaning to black women.
Kodwa said the ANC viewed the tweet as insulting to the party and its members.
Du Plessis later apologised in a tweet, saying: “I realise the term ‘pantypreneur’ is problematic. Thank you for the engagement and my unqualified apologies for using it in my tweet.”
Her controversial tweet was posted in a week which saw widespread condemnation of commentary deemed racist on social media.