Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Parliament, Cape Town - The DA has accused the ANC of blocking another attempt to debate spending over R200 million on President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla home.
Democratic Alliance parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko said her party had been allocated time in the National Assembly programme to have one of its motions debated in the House next week.
“In today’s (Wednesday's) Chief Whips' Forum meeting, the ANC rejected my notice of motion for debate on the ‘Nkandlagate’ scandal to be held on Tuesday, 12 March 2013,” she said.
The DA had also proposed an alternative, should the debate on Nkandla not go ahead.
But, the motion to debate the constitutionality of the National Key Points Act was also rejected.
“It is evident that the ANC are determined to do everything possible to protect President Jacob Zuma from scrutiny on this matter,” Mazibuko said.
The party would ask National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu to intervene at a meeting of the Assembly programming committee on Thursday.
“For as long as the spending of R206 million on President Zuma’s private residence goes unchecked, this scandal will remain a symbol of the government’s failure to fight corruption,” said Mazibuko. - Sapa