ANC condemns sex for jobs

Johannesburg - The ANC on Thursday condemned allegations that government officials in Bisho, Eastern Cape demanded sex from women interns in exchange for jobs.

“We want to put it clear that no one has a right to demand sex from anyone in the workplace anywhere,” provincial secretary Lubabalo Mabuyane said in a statement.

File picture: Phil Magakoe. Credit: Independent Newspapers

“Government institutions have policies in place to deal with issues falling under sexual harassment and these policies must be communicated all the time to employees to be made aware of.”

The Herald newspaper reported on Tuesday that some officials in the provincial legislature had been implicated in a sex-for-jobs scandal.

Allegations of officials demanding sexual favours from interns in return for jobs came to light in the legislature last week.

Interns who refused allegedly found that their contracts were not renewed.

The newspaper reported that trade union National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) had asked legislature speaker Noxolo Kiviet to investigate the allegations.

“We support government’s investigation of the matter and urge anyone with information on this to communicate with the Speaker’s office, and for those outside the legislature to report matters to the police,” said Mabuyane.