Advertisement
logoSections

ANC crowd stood up by DA marchers

Johannesburg - The ANC apparently forgot to inform its members that the proposed DA protest march had been called off.

From 7am people started gathering in Sauer Street outside Luthuli House, in full ANC party attire, chanting struggle songs.

ANC Gauteng provincial secretary David Makhura said they had not been told that the DA march had been called off.

“We were here to welcome the DA and educate them about our economic policies that they were going to be marching about,” he said.

There would not have been violence, he said.

“We are a dignified organisation and respect people’s right to protest peacefully. Besides welcoming them, we are here to show pity for them that they don’t know how to sustain an alliance. We have had alliances for many years – theirs only lasted a few days,” he said.

The DA had applied for permission to march on Tuesday in its fight for jobs, but this was denied by metro police, who claimed it was a security risk.

The Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court overturned this on Sunday.

The DA said a new date for the protest march would be set once logistics had been put in place.

SHOW ALL
Advertisement