ANC urged to recall Zuma as number 1Comment on this story
The Institute for Accountability in Southern Africa (Ifaisa) has asked the Independent Electoral Commission and ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe to recall President Jacob Zuma as the ANC’s presidential candidate for the upcoming elections.
In a letter, which appears on the institute’s website, it said it did not contest Zuma’s appearance on the party list, but was objecting to him being number one.
The institute’s director, Paul Hoffman, said the existence of criminal charges laid against Zuma by himself, the EFF and the DA was sufficient purpose for the objection.
Hoffman said he had opened a case of corruption, theft and fraud against Zuma in December.
“The Hawks have been updating me on their investigation. They said they were also studying (the public protector’s) ‘Secure in Comfort’ report (on Nkandla).”
Last week, Hoffman said he wrote to Mantashe asking that the ANC’s national executive committee recall Zuma as the party’s presidential candidate.
“This would be the best way to show the world and the large number of undecided voters that the commitment of the ANC to the rule of law and the constitution is a genuine one,” he wrote.
He was disappointed when Mantashe phoned him to say the ANC would stand by Zuma because he had been elected in Mangaung.
IEC spokeswoman Kate Bapela said the commission had received 42 submissions objecting to parliamentary candidates.
Bapela said the commission was not in position to reveal the names of people who have received objections.
She said the commission would look at the objections until April 7 and, on April 10, it would make its ruling. She said anyone unhappy with the ruling would still have an opportunity to appeal.
ANC provincial chairman Senzo Mchunu told the media in Durban that Zuma would remain the party’s number one candidate at all costs.