ANC welcomes Gaza ceasefire

Johannesburg - The African National Congress on Wednesday welcomed the recently agreed upon ceasefire between Israel and Palestine in Gaza.

“This agreement comes after almost two months of relentless and ruthless fighting which led to unwarranted bloodshed, displacement, and destruction in the region,” spokesman Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.

Palestinians gather around the remains of a house, which witnesses said was destroyed in an Israeli air strike last week. Picture: Mohammed Salem. Credit: REUTERS

“It is the ANC's hope that all parties involved will use this period to move beyond just an indefinite halt of hostilities to building genuine and lasting peace.”

According to Agence France-Presse, the accord for a long-term ceasefire came into effect on Tuesday.

A Palestinian official told the news agency the truce was finalised after 48 hours of negotiations.

Since the conflict began on July 8, 2143 Palestinians and 70 Israelis have been killed.