Former public protector advocate Thulio Madonsela File picture Masi Losi/Independent Media
Johannesburg - The ANC Women’s League has taken a swipe at former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela for her attacks on President Jacob Zuma and her successor Busisiwe Mkhwebane.
The ANCWL said on Monday it was disappointed with the conduct of Madonsela, and called on her to stay away from matters relating to the office of the public protector.
This followed a complaint by Madonsela that a portion of her pension has been withheld by Mkhwebane and Zuma.
This related to the car crash caused by her son in 2012.
But Mkhwebane said the money was withheld to determine if she was liable for the damage caused to state-owned car given to her during her tenure.
ANCWL secretary-general Meokgo Matuba said Madonsela must move on with her life as her term ended in October last year.
She said it was unacceptable that the former public protector has waged a relentless campaign to attack Zuma and her successor.
“The allegations that the president, Jacob Zuma, had influence in the appointment of Mkhwebane as public protector is a direct attack on Parliament’s ad hoc committee, which was responsible to short-list, interview and recommending a suitable candidate for the position of the public protector,” said Matuba.
She said Mkhwebane was appointed in a fair and credible process.
Zuma said at the weekend he was outraged by Madonsela’s comments linking him to her pension issues.
The office of the public protector said the damage to the car was R500 000, and they were waiting for a legal opinion to determine if Madonsela was liable for repair costs.
Mkhwebane said she did not want to be drawn into any spat with her predecessor, and wanted to focus her time in investigating corruption in state institutions.
Matuba said Mkhwebane has already made progress in conducting some of the important investigations in the country.