ANCYL ‘will fight disbanding’Comment on this story
Bloemfontein - The ANC Youth League will contest efforts by some to have its executive disbanded, Gauteng chairman Lebogang Maile said in Wednesday.
“I don't think there is any basis to disband the executive,” Maile said on the sidelines of the ANC's national conference in Mangaung.
A few delegates had proposed the idea during commissions on the African National Congress's organisational renewal document.
However, it was “not a popular view”, Maile said.
“The ANC needs a strong youth league that is militant and outspoken. This will weaken the youth league,” Maile said.
ANCYL president Julius Malema was expelled from the organisation earlier this year. Spokesman Floyd Shivambu and secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa were suspended.
Since Malema's departure the league had been led by deputy president Ronald Lamola.
Malema sent a letter to the ANC's conference this week asking to get his job back.
Shivambu said on Monday that he, along with Malema and Magaqa, submitted the letter on Sunday to ask the party to “reverse the outcomes... that culminated in our suspensions and expulsion from the ANC”.
The three said they were willing to behave appropriately.
Maile said Malema had a right to appeal to the conference delegates to consider his situation.
“During the disciplinary hearings the leadership of the ANC kept saying they can bring it to conference (to appeal).” He said the issue would be tabled, but could not say whether delegates would be open to discussing it.
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe on Wednesday said Malema's letter was given to the conference too late, after the programme was adopted.
“It was too late,” Mantashe told reporters.
The matter had been “handled and was done” by the ANC's disciplinary structures.
“It was exhausted and finished,” said Mantashe. - Sapa