Limpopo - Calls have been made for the head of the Limpopo Roads and Transport Department, Ntau Letebele, to resign for his role in the awarding of a multimillion-rand contract to the controversial On-Point Engineers.

The company has been linked to expelled ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema.

The demand was made by the department’s employees affiliated to the National Education Health and Allied Workers Union.

On Monday, they picketed outside the department’s head office in Polokwane, calling for Letebele’s resignation.

Letebele is at the centre of a scathing report by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela that slams the contract as unlawful.

But the workers’ call for Letebele’s resignation is likely to be met with resistance.

Limpopo Premier Cassel Mathale recently renewed Letebele’s employment contract for five more years. This was done despite ongoing investigations by Madonsela, who released her findings last week.

Madonsela blames Letebele for his alleged inability to detect alleged fraudulent tax certificates submitted by On-Point.

“It is mind-boggling why the stark discrepancies between the bid documents and the tax clearance certificate did not disqualify On-Point or present red flags regarding the possibility of tender fraud, to those who dealt with the bid, particularly the HOD [head of department],” said Madonsela.

“He made no effort to ensure that the awarding of the bid to On-Point was in accordance with the principles of a system that promotes competition and cost effectiveness in the interest of the department and the public.”

Letebele couldn’t be reached for comment, but department spokesman Joshu Kwapa said: “We have read the [Public Protector’s] report. We are seeking legal advice.”

The Star