Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Motherwell, Eastern Cape -
The Eastern Cape ANC has denied being behind the forced eviction of Motherwell residents and the torching of shacks.
“As the organisation we want to state it categorically, clearly, that such acts can never be associated with the African National Congress,” provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane said on Tuesday.
“It is... mischievous to make people believe that the Motherwell saga is linked to the ANC provincial leadership interaction that seeks to maintain stability.”
SABC news reported on Tuesday that families believed to be supporting ANC regional chairman Nceba Faku were forced to leave Motherwell. They were allegedly attacked by a group supporting Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Zanoxolo Wayile.
Faku and Wayile are reportedly at loggerheads over control of the metro.
Earlier this month, Wayile was allegedly held hostage and asked to resign. His supporters allegedly broke down a door at the ANC's provincial headquarters and freed him.
Mabuyane said Faku and Wayile denied being linked to this incident.
“Both the mayor of Nelson Mandela metro region and the ANC chairperson have also assured the people... that they are not involved in what happened in Motherwell, and therefore condemn the act.”
Ten men appeared in the Motherwell Magistrate's Court on Tuesday on charges of arson. Police spokesman Warrant Officer Dumile Gwavu said the matter was postponed to September 28 for further investigation. They were released on R500 bail each.
The men allegedly burnt a woman's furniture and some of her clothing, along with two shacks in Mpangele Street, Motherwell, on Monday.
Gwavu said the men faced charges of assault with aggravating circumstances, and malicious damage to property. - Sapa