Pietermaritzburg - Opposition parties have called for the KwaZulu-Natal government to reshuffle its cabinet and have fingered the MEC for Education, Peggy Nkonyeni, to be sacked.
The ailing education department has been in the spotlight after KZNPremier Senzo Mchunu told the MEC to get to work.
The department’s 2015 matric results performed as the second worse province, recording a pass rate of 60.7%, down a massive 9% from last year.
The former provincial chairperson said “the grade 12 pass rate declined for the second year in a row and is now at 60.7% after the province had achieved a pass rate of close to 80% in 2013.”
Opposition parties have called the MEC “unfit” to hold office at the State of the Province address on Thursday.
Speaking after the State of the Province Address on Thursday about the ailing educational department, which has in the past two years declined in the matric results, Mchunu said “we can only say that those results are not good.”
“In terms of going down for two conservative years we are all concerned. We are concerned, even when at the point when we were at 77.4% by the other children who have not made it.”
“I don’t think it is the best way to look for individuals and start saying pointing fingers”, he said.