Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Cape Town - Some of the schools identified for closure last year say they are still going strong despite the uncertainty hanging over them.
Seventeen Western Cape schools facing closure last year were given a lifeline when an interim interdict was granted in the Western Cape High Court in December, preventing Education MEC Donald Grant from closing the schools on December 31.
Pupil numbers at Bergrivier NGK Primary in Wellington had increased, said Nettie Koordom, chairwoman of the school’s governing body.
“Last year was stressful but now it is going well. We have received several sponsorships and we no longer fear that the school will be closed.”
Mabel Valentine, principal of Protea Primary in Bonteheuwel, said the school’s pupil numbers had remained constant.
“Everyone is glad to be here and that they didn’t have to go to another school.”
Brenda Davids, principal of Lavisrylaan Primary in Bishop Lavis, said pupil numbers at the school had taken a dip and two teachers had decided to go to other schools.
“Otherwise we are are still going strong and have the support of our parents.”
Grant said he was thankful that the high court had finally given the reasons for the December judgment yesterday.
“We have been waiting for the reasons for the order for the past three months. We can now consider what motivated the majority decision of the court to grant the interdict,” he said.
“We will consider the reasons carefully with our legal advisers, along with the minority dissenting judgment and will act on the advice of our legal advisers.”
Western Cape Education Department spokesman Paddy Attwell said the department was still supporting the schools.
Asked if there were any plans to close any schools this year, Attwell said it was still too early in the year to say.
The Save Our Schools (SOS) campaign’s Magnus De Jongh said SOS hoped the department would come to its senses and allow the schools to remain open.