CLOSE X
Advertisement

#Hlaudi hits back

Politics

Johannesburg - Hlaudi Motsoeneng hit back at his “detractors” boasting about the achievements that he has brought to the SABC including the controversial 90% local content policy.

Motsoeneng took a swipe at the SABC 8, the Ad Hoc Committee on Communication, the new SABC board and specifically former board member Krish Naidoo at a media briefing on Wednesday in Joburg.

Share this story
Hlaudi Motsoeneng's supporters came out in their numbers to support the former SABC head of corporate affairs at his media briefing in Joburg. Picture: Luyolo Mkentane/Political Bureau

The former SABC boss stated numerous times that he was not speaking on behalf of the SABC but was addressing issues he dealt with while working there.

Surrounded by his supporters, consisting of musicians, he called for commercial media companies to be regulated and forced to also implement the 90% local content policy.

Although he no longer works at the SABC, he rubbished claims that the public broadcaster was heavily affected by the local content policy, which affected advertising revenue to the broadcaster.

Motsoeneng instead said he influenced advertisers to support local content.

WATCH: Praises, calls for #Hlaudi's reinstatement

He also stood by his decision to sell the rights of the SABC archives to Mutli-Choice and said that the decision helped employee a number of people under the DSTV channel SABC Encore.

Reinstated former board member, Krish Naidoo received the biggest criticism, with Motsoeneng accusing him of being part of the decision making process which was criticized by the Ad Hoc Committee.

“If there is something that is wrong with the board, why is the person who was part of it is still there?” asked Motsoeneng.

Hlaudi Motsoeneng's supporters singing and dancing at his media briefing in Joburg.


He accused Naidoo of working at the SABC and the ANC’s headquarters at Luthuli House.

Last year, the Western Cape High Court ruled in favour of the DA and finding that the appointment of Motsoeneng as SABC’s group executive of corporate affairs was unlawful and irrational.

The court held that Motsoeneng should not hold any position at the public broadcaster until a disciplinary Is held to assert the remedial action issued by the public protector.

The court also ordered that the new interim board should deliver a letter setting out the disciplinary charges against Motsoeneng.

Politics and Development Hub

Share this story
Advertisement
X