Judgment could be handed down early next week in the disciplinary hearing against suspended Central Karoo district municipality manager Truman Prince, the municipality's legal representative said on Tuesday.
Prince has pleaded not guilty to seven charges, including using R3 000 from a mayoral fund to settle bail for a friend, using foul language and making a fraudulent subsistence claim.
The disciplinary hearing, which started at the beginning of February, has been closed to the public.
Prince's legal team had until Wednesday to file opposing papers, said Brown, adding that he would file responding papers by Friday, leaving hearing chairperson Piet van Staden in a position to deliver a verdict early next week.
The African National Congress suspended Prince in January for bringing the party into disrepute.
He has since joined the Independent Civic Organisation of South Africa (Icosa), which will contest the local government elections in March in his Beaufort-West stronghold.
A former mayor of Beaufort-West, Prince featured in a television documentary on child prostitution in which he was seen talking to young girls through his car window.
He was subsequently charged with public violence after allegedly assaulting a Special Assignment team.
The Western Cape department of local government and housing and the special investigation unit are investigating the payment of a R49 000 performance bonus to Prince last year. - Sapa