Biggest Fashion Sale Of The Year! Shop 12 000 Up To 70% OFF!
Nelson Mandela’s daughters have offered to withdraw the civil claim they brought against him earlier this year, which attempts to gain control over the former statesman’s considerable wealth.
The offer, made on Friday by Wesley Hayes, the attorney acting on behalf of Makaziwe Mandela and Zenani Dlamini, came just days after Madiba was discharged from hospital and returned to his Houghton home, where he continues to receive high-level care.
“Yes, I can confirm there has been a firm offer to withdraw the case,” said Bally Chuene, Madiba’s attorney and confidant, who finds himself at the centre of the bitter family feud.
“But a formal court application has still to be brought before the courts, and we, the respondents, must place our demands on the table.”
It is understood that, in order to settle the matter, the respondents will demand that the daughters accept them as legitimate directors and trustees of the entities, and therefore not bring any kind of similar legal action in the future.
It is also understood that they will demand that Ismail Ayob, the controversial attorney whom Madiba ousted almost 10 years ago when a number of irregularities (financial and otherwise) came to light, foots the bill for their legal costs.
Until recently, the women were represented by Ayob.
Once that is done, the chapter can then be closed on what many have described as a grotesque display of greed.
It started in April, when the two daughters filed papers in a Joburg court demanding that Chuene, as well as advocate George Bizos and politician and businessman Tokyo Sexwale, remove themselves as directors of two of Madiba’s companies, and as trustees of the Mandela Trust.
The daughters said the men had not been lawfully instated and should resign and leave them with controlling powers over their father’s wealth.
- Sunday Tribune