MEC vows staff will be paid

Comment on this story
norman mabasa Moloko Moloto Limpopo Health and Social Development MEC Norman Mabasa. Picture: Moloko Moloto

Johannesburg - Limpopo Health MEC Norman Mabasa has condemned as “a national embarrassment” the non-payment of overtime allowances for emergency medical workers by his department.

The Star first reported this week that emergency workers had threatened to go on strike. Some workers claimed the department owed them more than R30 000 dating back to August last year. On Thursday, Mabasa told The Star he regretted the error.

“The non-payment of emergency workers is very disturbing. The fact that this comes from as far as last year August, is a very worrying issue,” Mabasa said.

He promised to pay them starting from next week, and said the last payment would be made in November.

Mabasa vowed to discipline the officials responsible for the non-payment of emergency personnel.

“They caused a national embarrassment. They caused strife in the community. It’s a national embarrassment to hear that our emergency medical workers are crippled,” said Mabasa.

He said an investigation would be launched to identify those responsible.

“If you find anybody is culpable and, depending on the severity of the offence, you give them a sentence that will range from something that I hate, which is called a final written warning, to something that I like, which is called dismissal,” said Mabasa.

He admitted that a possible strike by emergency workers, which would include ambulance attendants and paramedics, would have dire implications for the province.

“There are accidents, people shoot each other, people burn inside houses, you need emergency medical workers and anybody who cripples that section, which is the heartbeat of healthcare service delivery, must face the music,” said Mabasa.

He took strong exception that health workers were expected to work while not being paid.

He indicated that his officials had kept the non-payment a secret.

“The fact that I only heard about it last week, tells you there is a blockage of information and that cannot be tolerated,” said Mabasa, who joined the department as MEC in March.

Limpopo has had cash-flow problems last year, and the province’s Health Department was among five departments that were placed under administration in December to sort out the financial mess. Mabasa said that this was no excuse for not paying workers.

“Even if that were to be the case, why did we pay pharmacists and radiographers by April? Why did we exclude this section?” Mabasa asked. Emergency service personnel remained sceptical, however.

“We don’t trust them any more. They must just pay us, perhaps they may win our trust again,” said Mpho Mpogeng, president of SA Emergency Personnel Union, which claims to represent more than 90 percent of the emergency staff in the department.

But Mabasa said: “I would urge them to also have a conscience that says, ‘Let’s not allow anyone to die because of mere lack of trust’. If they could wait for this long, why not wait for another week to start seeing things happening?” said Mabasa.

[email protected]

The Star


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.