Minister to discuss NPA boss

Comment on this story
IOL si mxolisi nxasana GCIS National Director of Public Prosecutions Mxolisi Nxasana is studying a report by retired judge Zak Yacoob into the NPA. Photo: Elmond Jiyane

Johannesburg - Justice Minister Michael Masuthu on Sunday was still awaiting a meeting with President Jacob Zuma to discuss NPA boss Mxolisi Nxasana.

“The meeting has not taken place. We are not sure of the date yet,” ministerial spokesman Lawrence Ngoveni said.

He said that since the appointment of the national director of public prosecutions was conducted by the president, it would be his decision on how to handle the matter involving Nxasana.

“The president will be dealing with the matter, correctly so.”

Ngoveni said that the president may call on Masuthu if he needed “advice”.

The minister was currently “familiarising himself with the facts”.

On Friday, Masuthu told SABC news that he had requested a meeting with Zuma.

“Hopefully in the next few days I'll have that opportunity so that I get a first-hand impression of the status of the matter in that office, so that I am able to work out for myself what specific role I need to play and that will assist me in being able to establish what exactly I could possibly recommend,” he told the national broadcaster.

At the time Ngoveni said that Nxasana would remain in his position until a decision had been made on his security clearance.

Nxasana, of the KwaZulu-Natal division of the high court, was appointed by President Jacob Zuma in October 2013.

The Star reported that former justice minister Jeff Radebe called Nxasana to a late night meeting and instructed him to resign, just a few days before Zuma announced his new Cabinet.

Radebe allegedly claimed that Nxasana had not been given a security clearance because of past brushes with the law.

This included being tried for murder about 30 years ago.

Nxasana, has refused to resign and has vowed to challenge the matter in court or an inquiry should he be fired.

The newspaper reported that Nxasana admitted in a letter to state security officials this week that he stood trial in 1985 for murder but was acquitted, based on his version of self defence.

He reportedly also admitted to being arrested for “careless driving and refusing arrest” last September, and that he was fined R2000 about 12 years ago, suspended for three years, by the KZN Law Society for misconduct. - Sapa



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.