Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - Billionaire businessman Patrice Motsepe has denied reports that he is neglecting his pledge to help residents of Mmakau, North West, the Sunday Sun reported.
Motsepe Foundation spokesman Peter Ledwaba told the newspaper that Motsepe had pledged millions towards the development of the area a long time ago.
“People mustn't think we say this for publicity. It has always been there, but he didn't want to confine it only to Mmakau but to the Madibeng municipality as a whole,” he was quoted as saying.
“Motsepe started the pledge in Tshwane, where he made a pledge of R2 million.”
The foundation was responding to a report in the Sunday Sun a week earlier, according to which Mmakau residents had accused Motsepe of making promises, but not keeping them. The newspaper reported that residents were angry because Motsepe was neglecting his home village, where Motsepe family businesses were standing empty and jobs had been lost.
Ledwaba said the allegations were aimed at harming Motsepe's reputation. He said the foundation had further pledged R5m over five years to the people of Madibeng. The money was for education. Half of it went to teacher development and the rest was used on the pupils. - Sapa