Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
All preparations are in place for a peaceful Northern Cape ANC provincial elective conference, provincial secretary Zamani Saul said on Wednesday.
“We know and are confident that we will have a successful provincial conference with no incidents or disruptions,” he said.
About 800 delegates are expected to attend the conference in Upington.
Saul said all the regions in the province had confirmed that preparations for the delegates' arrival in Upington on Thursday were in order.
Delegates would register for the conference as they arrived.
Saul said the results of the nominations for the different posts of the provincial leadership would be known only after the political report was delivered on Thursday.
The nominations from the region for the leadership posts were already in and had been consolidated by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), which was running the elections.
He said nobody except the IEC would know the nominations at this stage.
“That report will be tabled to conference, not to the PEC (provincial executive commission) or any individual.”
Saul said no incidents were expected at this year's provincial elective conference. The Northern Cape's previous conference was marred by violence and protests.
He said an indication of the mood in 2012 was that there were problems at only nine branch general meetings, out of more than 160, and all of these issues were solved.
ANC president Jacob Zuma is expected to address the conference when it starts at 2pm on Thursday. - Sapa