The affordable education loan option
Johannesburg - Acting head of crime intelligence Chris Ngcobo has not left his position, the SA Police Service (SAPS) said on Sunday.
“He is still working and acting in his position, he has not left the position,” spokesman Lt-Gen Solomon Makgale told Sapa.
City Press reported that Ncgobo left his position as a result of being undermined by a pro-Richard Mdluli faction.
According to the newspaper, Ncgobo packed up his office almost a month ago from crime intelligence head office to go to security and protection services.
Ncgobo reportedly had not attended meetings and had informed national police commissioner Riah Phiyega and top police management that he would not return to his post.
Ncgobo took over after Mdluli was suspended last year amid charges of fraud and corruption, and charges relating to the murder of his ex-lover's husband.
An inquest the following year cleared him of any involvement in the death of his ex-lover's husband.
The charges of fraud and corruption were all later also withdrawn.
He was reinstated, but was suspended again in 2012, pending a court application to review the withdrawal of the criminal and disciplinary charges against him.
Lobby group Freedom Under Law would proceed with its application for the review and setting aside of the decisions to withdraw criminal and disciplinary charges against Mdluli.
The case is set to be heard this week in the High Court in Pretoria.
The newspaper reported that Phiyega would support an argument that barring Mdluli from returning to work should never have been granted.
According to the report, Phiyega, in her affidavit, insisted that FUL has no business interfering in the employment relationship between Mdluli and the SAPS.
Makgale would not comment on this to Sapa.
“Given that this would be heard in court, it is not prudent to discuss the merits of the case... over and above what is in the court papers, there is nothing new to add.” - Sapa